We think that it is natural for our vision to weaken as we grow older. But it isn’t quite so. Actually, regular exercise of the muscles that control the movement of our eyes, we can ease the eyes strain and even improve our vision.
There are six different muscles that have an essential role in the eyes health:
- Lateral rectus – Primarily moves your eye outward, away from your nose.
- Medial rectus – Primarily moves your eye inward, toward your nose.
- Superior rectus – Primarily moves your eye upward.
- Inferior rectus – Primarily moves your eye downward.
- Superior oblique – Primarily rotates the top of your eye toward your nose.
- Inferior oblique – Primarily rotates the top of your eye away from your nose.
Your eyes can really get damaged if you have a job or hobby that requires sitting in front of a computer for hours daily. This is one of the main reasons why many people suffer from chronic eyestrain today. Staring at brightly lit screens is not the biggest reason why this is hard for the eyes. Our eyes are intended to move frequently. When looking at the computer all day, the images on the screen move, but our eyes remain still.
Simple Eye Exercises
– Look as far to your right as possible for 3-5 seconds, then as far to your left as possible for 3-5 seconds. After you rest for a few moments, repeat several times.
– Look as far up as possible for 3-5 seconds, then look as far down as possible for 3-5 seconds. Rest for a few seconds, then repeat the same procedure several times.
– Roll your eyes slowly in a circle, first clockwise, then counter-clockwise. Rest for a few seconds, then repeat the same several times. Do it slowly – it should take at least 3 seconds to roll your eyes in a full circle.
– Hold a pen in front of you, about an arm’s length away. Look at the tip of your pen for 3-5 seconds, than move the vision focus to an object that is farther away for 3-5 seconds. The greater the distance between your pen and the distant object, the more this will help. Repeat this several times.
Try to perform these exercises with moving only the eyes, not your head and neck too. If you do them daily, you will make huge benefits on your eyes health. It is very simple and protects your eyes, so give it a shot!